November 10, 2009

Fall in Reno... and China



I love fall in Reno. After living in Las Vegas it is so nice to be somewhere with seasons - not just hot and sort of cold. There is something so American about the fall - pumpkin patches, tractor rides, and fresh apple pie. I can't help but getting nostalgic.




Of course there is Fall in other parts of the world. Beijing is beautiful in the fall, similar to Reno, but also very different. I remember walking across The Great Wall in autumn. It looked like the mountains were on fire with the trees in colors of red, yellow, orange, and rust.

The air there is crisp in autumn, just like it is in Reno. But in China the air is also filled with odors of fried scorpions, frog legs, and fermented tofu. In Reno, the fall is a perfect time for riding bikes. In China everyday is a good day for bikes, but usually not for leisure. People carry all their possessions on bikes - furniture, livestock, food. I will always fondly remember my time in China. But for now, I'm glad to be in Reno.


No comments: