November 10, 2009

Forgetfulness


It's amazing how much you forget as a mom. I have heard it referred to as "Momnesia," a condition of forgetfulness usually striking moms with young children. It accounts for why you suddenly forget even the simplest things, like why you went to Target in the first place. Or how to phrase a simple sentence. Or forgetting your keys in the car and then locking your child in it.

I think nature helps us forget certain things, like how miserably awful the first four months of pregnancy are. And how tired you get the first months after the baby is born. I forgot what it was like to be really tired. Not just the everyday kind of tired, but the tired to the bone, can't help but stare off into space kind of tired. It is a good thing we forget certain things. But then nature also reminds us why we do it....



Seeing them together reminds me that it is all worth it. It's moments like these that make the tired moments, the moments of frustration, and the moments of defeat dissolve away. I would like to think that we have a happy home. But since Ben came there seems to be just a little more kindness and a little more patience...



I always knew Ben was waiting. After Ethan was born I had dreams about Ben. When I see the kids together I can't help but think they knew he was coming too. Long lost friends...



It's moments like these I certainly won't forget.

1 comment:

simpson said...

Love, love, love these pictures. It would make me want one but I haven't quite forgotten those first 4 months yet. :)