December 9, 2009

Conversation With a Toddler


Olivia loves to call Grandma Oh-Dear, the name she gave my mom because my mom frequently says, "Oh dear." Olivia talks a mile a minute, leaving no time for response from my mom. She walks around the house talking about what she sees that minute, or something she randomly remembers. It is the most disjointed monologue I have ever heard. Sometimes she doesn't even know what she's talking about. Case in point:

Olivia: Hi Grandma. How are you? (She doesn't wait for a reply). I am so bored. All I have done all day is watch Ethan. Mom is busy watching Ben. So I have to play with Ethan. He likes to play with my favorite toy, you know, that one, with the blue on it. It is so boring. Mommy feeds Ben all the time. She doesn't read to me anymore. My favorite book is Pinkalicious. It has that one girl and the cupcakes. Just like the cupcakes we got from my friend Anna. Do you remember her? (Again, no response time left for my mom). Anyways, I have been so bored. All we do is stay home. It is so boring. (She pauses to catch her breath and her thoughts, then continues.) Grandma, what does 'boring' mean?

Grandma: Oh dear!

1 comment:

simpson said...

LOVE IT! And a fried turkey? We want to hear about that.