December 3, 2009

Tides of Change


It used to be that every morning I would hear Ethan on the monitor sweetly calling, "Mommy, Mommy." I would go to his room and fall in love with him all over again. Those big brown eyes and big smile. What's not to love? This morning I heard him sweetly calling, "YaYa, YaYa." (YaYa is what he calls Olivia most of the time. It depends on his mood. Sometimes he calls her Livvie. Sometimes it's Olivia. And sometimes it's mean, naughty sister.) But this morning it's YaYa. Yesterday I heard him rustling about. I thought he would rush downstairs, desperate to find me. I waited. He never came. So I went upstairs desperate to find him. There he was, lying on Olivia's floor, waiting for her to wake up. I've been replaced.

They have always been close. They celebrate together...



They get sick together (see Ethan's boogie nose and Olivia's glassy eyes)...



They four-wheel together...



They kung fu together (and each other)...



And they meditate together...



And now little Ben is working hard, getting strong so he can join the fun. At seven weeks old he is pretty good at holding his head up. He likes to sit up and see the world. He is a talker, just like Dad. Seven weeks, wearing six-month-old clothes. He's my favorite big little man...



Soon he will find a replacement too. But that's ok. I have a good stand-by...



1 comment:

Apryl said...

That kung-fu picture is priceless. I sense their kung-fu is very strong...